Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Croc in the water...

My sister and I have been unable to mow our lawn this year. The neighbors have helped out tremendously and mowed the front yard, but avoided the back yard. The grass got up to 2-4 feet tall in some areas. At this point we would need a baler to take care of the lawn. Athena would go out and wander through the grass. It looked like a crocodile in the water with just the head sticking out of the water.

I tried a weed whacker and got a 10x20 ft area. I found 3 toys and apparently the dogs had taken some cans out of the garbage and licked them out (yikes) because we found several cans in the back yard.

My neighbors came over several times and mowed sections of it. With the grass as tall as it was and all the rain we have had lately, we had clumps that were still 2 ft tall and the cut grass still needed to be picked up. There were several areas where there was a flurry of white stuffing. Oops, those were toys. Well they definitely bit the dust. That was so much work to get the lawn down like that. Wow, what great neighbors and friends we have.

I had mentioned the crocs in the water to one of my friends at work. She brought her 2 sons over and they raked and mowed and raked and mowed...and raked and mowed. They also weed whacked along the fence. They moved the screen door to block the dogs in the house (we have a doggie door in our sliding glass door). When we came home from work and found my friend and her kids out taking care of the lawn, we came out to thank them. This is where it gets funny. They told us how they blocked the doggie door with the screen and then Luna pushes the screen away from the door and looks out at us. Her head went back inside and Athena stuck her head out. It was like they were trying to say, "yeah, we could have come out any time we wanted."

When you are not able to get out and do the things that you need to, it means so much to have friends and neighbors like these help out. I have actually cried because we haven't been able to mow the lawn. I'm...full figured and get out of breath and overheated quickly. Right now I'm on oxygen full time, but I have been starting to loose some weight and hope to get in better shape soon (you know, hour glass instead of blimp, or maybe just tree trunk instead of blimp). Anyway, I'm not exactly up to mowing the lawn and it stresses me out. Sandra has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was 2 yrs old. She can mow the lawn, but then she can hardly move for 3 days afterward.

It may seem very simple to mow the lawn or some of the gazillion other things my neighbors do for us, but we are very, very, very grateful for all of their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment